WAKE FOREST — Long-time Wake Forest High School special education teacher John Hardymon got a call Monday afternoon no one wants to receive. It was a neighbor calling to tell him his house was on fire.
Hardymon reportedly got home in time to see his Franklinton home destroyed by a fire sparked by a power line that was snagged by a passing truck and pulled down onto his home.
“Someone hit a power pole and (the) house was gone in 10 minutes,” Hardymon wrote in a post that was shared on a gofundme.com page started by Annette Trammel to help him get back on his feet.
The response to the request for help has been immediate. In one day, nearly $9,000 has been raised.
In setting up the donation page, Trammel wrote, “One of the most generous, giving and dedicated staff at Wake Forest High School for almost 10 years, John Hardymon, has lost everything. ... Words cannot explain how much he gives and we want to give back.”
Those sentiments were echoed in poster after poster on the page.
“Thank you for all the guidance and encouragement you gave my son while at WF high!” wrote Jennifer Alger.
Another parent wrote, “John, I met you once about 3 years ago when you drove the activity bus for a marching band competition. I remember our conversation on the bus because you spoke of how you enjoyed helping others. This is our time to help you! Sorry for your loss.”
And the well-wishes were not limited to Wake Forest Cougars and alumni.
A donor listing him or herself as “Enloe Eagle” donated $50 as well.
To help out Hardymon, go to gofundme.com/tsfjac.