Notice: Undefined index: dirname in /home/wakeweek/public_html/wp-content/themes/worldwide-v1-05/include/plugin/filosofo-image/filosofo-custom-image-sizes.php on line 135
Notice: Undefined index: extension in /home/wakeweek/public_html/wp-content/themes/worldwide-v1-05/include/plugin/filosofo-image/filosofo-custom-image-sizes.php on line 136
Crews also respond to grease fire, gas leak
by David Leone
WAKE FOREST — Firefighters responded to a gas leak and care center fire calls in the last week, and a grease fire Aug. 10, though none resulted in any injuries.
Just after noon Sunday, Wake Forest firefighters were called out to 2804 Stirrup Court in the Smith Creek neighborhood for a fire that had started on a house’s second floor deck and burned upwards into the attic.
Though the flames were contained on the upper floor, smoke was present throughout the home.
Crews from Engine 2 and Ladder 1 extinguished the fire and cut a hole in the roof to ventilate the smoke within 15 minutes after arriving, according to fire department officials. Firefighters from Engines 1 and 3 assisted.
The house had been converted into an adult care center housing six residents, so there was a risk to their safety, though no injuries were reported.
“They were in danger if anybody had been up there sleeping,” said Fire Chief Ron Early. “We were able to get there in time to stop it before it burned through the roof.”
The cause has not been determined, but a Wake County fire marshal believes it was accidentally set, Early related.
The residence is owned by Eunice Ngumba, according to online tax records. The name of the care center facility could not be determined by press deadline.
Gas leak at Victorian Square
A natural gas leak reported in Wake Forest’s downtown Friday at 10:30 a.m. led to the evacuation of a building but no damages or injuries.
According to Early, the leak developed with an appliance on the top of the Victorian Square building housing the Wake Forest Portrait Shoppe and upstairs offices at the corner of South White Street and Roosevelt Avenue.
Occupants were evacuated while a crew from PSNC Energy shut off the gas.
No one reported any ill effects from the fumes.
Grease ignites at Sonic
Yellow caution tape surrounding the Sonic Drive-in on Capital Boulevard was placed as a result of an Aug. 10 fire at the restaurant.
Wake Forest firefighters reported that the deep fryer caught fire that morning, then spread through a vent.
When they arrived, there was a heavy fire present in the kitchen. It was quickly extinguished. Five Wake Forest engines responded to the fire as well as mutual-aid units from Stony Hill Fire Department.
No injuries were reported.