Purchased by Dr. Calvin Jones in 1820 along with 600 acres of land, this is the town’s oldest home and was used as a residence, post office, and clinic for treating patients.
Jones sold the farm to the North Carolina Baptist Convention in 1832 and, two years later, Wake Forest Manual Labor Institute – later known as Wake Forest College and now Wake Forest University – opened to educate young men for the ministry.
The home’s extraordinary role in the history of town and college inspired this design. Produced by the Charleston Mint, the ornament features a three-dimensional replica of the Calvin Jones House crafted in brass. Each ornament is packaged in a gold-foil gift box, and includes an insert with a brief history of the home.
Today the Calvin Jones House is part of a four acre complex that includes gardens, pathways, and the Wake Forest Historical Museum, which will benefit from sales of the ornament.
The ornament may be purchased for $20 (including tax) at the Wake Forest Historical Museum, 414 N. Main St. For shipping, please send $22 cash or check with mailing address to: Wake Forest Historical Museum, P.O. Box 494, Wake Forest, N.C. 27587.