UPDATE: Darius Revel Robinson, 24, was arrested April 1, shortly before 8:30 p.m. in Suffolk, Va., according to a press statement released from the Franklin County Sheriff's Office.
Robinson was taken into custody by agents with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Violent Crimes Task Force along with the FBI SWAT team and officers with the Suffolk Virginia Police Department.
Robinson is currently being held in the Western Tidewater Regional Jail in Suffolk, Va., without bond.
In addition to the arresting teams, the Franklin County Sheriff's Office worked with the Louisburg Police Department, the N.C. SBI, the N.C. Department of Public Safety Community Corrections Division, the IRS, and U.S. Postal Service during the investigation.
Anyone with information pertaining to this case should contact Detective Griffin with the Franklin County Sheriff's Office at 919-340-3875.
by Clellie Allen
LOUISBURG — Down a quiet, wooded, dead-end gravel road just north of Louisburg, three individuals met a violent end Saturday, reportedly at the hands of a convicted felon who was still on the loose as of press deadline.
Franklin County law enforcement officials, with the help of SBI and FBI personnel, are actively searching for Darius Revel Robinson, 24. He is wanted on three first-degree murder charges in the deaths of Keisha Livingston, 36, Shamare Malik Harris, 18 and Diana Marie Edgerton, 23. All three were shot in Livingston’s home at 119 Harris Road, Louisburg.
On Sunday, N.C. Governor Pat McCrory announced a reward of up to $10,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of Robinson.
Monday, Franklin County Sheriff Chief of Staff Terry Wright said investigators aren’t commenting on the motive for the crime, although they did not believe it was random.
"At least one or more of the victims knew the suspect," Wright said.
Wright also said that the victims were not "blood related," however they were all friends.
According to media reports, Harris was good friends with Livingston’s 16-year-old daughter. Livingston also has a son, age 14.
As far as investigators know, Robinson acted alone in the shootings. However, he is a member of a local gang, according to Wright.
Robinson had just finished serving time for being armed with a deadly weapon, inflicting serious injury, according to N.C. Department of Correction (DOC) documents. He was released from jail on parole in November.
Robinson was also previously convicted for second degree burglary and common law robbery in connection with a March 2014 home invasion on Gold Sand Road in Louisburg. An elderly couple was assaulted and tied up before their home was robbed in that incident.
At the time of the shootings, Robinson was being sought by DOC officials and Franklin County deputies for breaking his parole by removing his monitoring ankle bracelet.
Deputies had reportedly been sent to Robinson’s 124 Southwood Drive, Louisburg address on Friday to arrest him. But he was not at home.
Since the killings on Saturday, the sheriff’s office has followed up on multiple leads, including conducting several searches, but have not located Robinson, Wright said Wednesday.
Little information available
Other than releasing the deceased victims’ names and identifying information about Robinson, law enforcement officials have been tight-lipped about any other details, in an effort, Wright says, "to protect the investigation."
Some residents feel more information would be better, and have questioned the delay by law enforcement in alerting the public to the murders and to Robinson not being in custody.
According to written statements from the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office, the shootings took place around noon on Saturday. However, the general public and media were not notified until after 8:30 p.m.
"I don’t understand why it took the sheriff so long to release this information about [Robinson]," said Brenda Fuller in a written post on the public Franklin Weekly Facebook page. "The suspect had plenty of time to [flee] the area before anything about him was released. It should have been released right away."
Others came to the defense of law enforcement, saying they "didn’t want to release the photo and names too early as he may flee," as commented by Donna Wade.
Another reader claimed that nearby residents were not even alerted to what happened. "It should have been released right away b/c it was in a family members back yard (basically) and she had no clue and no alert until I saw it on fb and told her!" wrote Amanda Brewer. "The public has every right to be made aware."
Franklin County officials have been quick to respond to all follow-up media inquiries by The Wake and Franklin Weeklies, except for a public record request for the 911 call audio and/or written transcript of the call. Brian Smith, operations manager for Franklin County Emergency Communications, obtained a court order Tuesday, sealing the contents of the 911 call until Robinson is taken into custody.
In his motion to the court, the attorney for Franklin County, Aubrey Tomlinson Jr., stated that releasing the call would identify the witness and put him or her in jeopardy.
However, 911 audio is routinely altered to redact identifying information with voices additionally altered so that 911 callers can not be identified.
Neither Smith nor Tomlinson Jr. responded to inquiries before press deadline as to why the identifying information could not be redacted on audio or lined-out on a transcript instead of sealing the contents.
How to help
A crowd-funding page has been established to help cover burial expenses for Sharmar Harris at
gofundme.com/uqw67rms. On the fundraiser main page, the creator, Latasha S., said Sharmar "had just went off to training to better his life. He was a most-caring person who didn't bother anyone, very family oriented who’s mourning. Please help donate to this family, Anything is a blessing."
Funeral arrangements for the victims had not yet been released by press deadline, but will be published on The Wake Weekly and The Franklin Weekly Facebook pages as soon as they are known.