WAKE FOREST — Parents and students in the Wake Forest High band are missing an integral piece of equipment needed for their upcoming season.
Monday, the band director, Joel Tucker, reported one of their two trailers had been stolen from school property. According to Wake Forest police spokesman Bill Crabtree, it was
last seen June 26.
Band Booster President Cheryl Vann said the trailer meant a great deal to the band family.
“This isn’t just another robbery,” she said. “It’s more than that.”
It was used to haul instruments, uniforms and other equipment when the marching Cougars took to the competition field. While no instruments were inside at the time of the theft, Vann said, all of the empty uniform racks will have to be replaced if they aren’t returned.
“They are worthless to the person that stole them, but now we don’t have that piece of equipment,” she said.
Inside the trailer were also custom-made shelving, crafted by a band parent who had several children in the band. He has since died.
“He loved the band and was a huge band dad,” Vann said. “All he could talk about was the band because he loved them. He used to say, ‘See those shelves? I made them.’”
Recently, the band teamed with the Wake Forest Rotary Club to hold a comedy night to raise funding. This year, the money was intended to paint the trailers and get the new decals outfitted to reflect the name change from Wake Forest-Rolesville High to Wake Forest High.
“Thank goodness we hadn’t done that yet,” she said, adding they may now have to use the money to pay the deductible on the insurance, though she wasn’t sure. “We are lucky we already have money from what we raised.”
Replacement costs are estimated at $6,000, though it is unknown how and when the boosters can replace it. However, a second trailer is needed in time for their first competition in late September.
Anyone willing to lend or donate a trailer should e-mail Tucker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Crabtree said the incident is still under investigation.
Robbery at McDonald’s
WAKE FOREST — Crabtree declined to give any details regarding an armed robbery at the McDonald’s on Forestville Road early Sunday morning.
According to the police incident report filed by Officer E.E. Bray, a masked gunman was reported to have robbed the store just before 1:30 a.m. It is unknown if the suspect or suspects were able to get away with anything.
Crabtree said no one was injured, though there were at least two people in the restaurant, according to the report. The restaurant’s website states the main lobby is closed and locked at that time of night, but the drive-thru is open 24 hours.
Cars rummaged through
YOUNGSVILLE — A large number of residents in Georgetown and Woodcroft neighborhoods recently reported car break-ins. Many of the cars had been left unlocked, but not all of them.
Residents reported the incidents July 1 to Franklin County Sheriff’s deputies. Vehicles had been rummaged on Longwood Drive, Kensington Drive and Georgetown Woods Drive.
In most cases items from the center console appeared tampered with or were scattered throughout the car. Among the items reported stolen were an iPod, backpack, briefcase, gift card, satchel, Bible and wallet.
But in some cases, valuable things were left behind. In one instance, musical instruments were taken out of the car and left in the yard. One victim said items of value had been left untouched and another said checkbooks, gift cards and cash had been moved, but left in the car.
While many of the cars were unlocked, one Kensington Drive resident reported a car window being broken in order to steal her purse. The purse was later found in a neighbor’s yard. The pickax used to break the window was also left at the scene. Another victim said he found a towel inside his car that didn’t belong to him.
The case is ongoing.