In a recurring feature, The Wake Weekly looks back at what happened this week throughout the years.
•The Wake Forest town board is taking action to better chlorinate the town water supply because it doesn’t meet U.S. Army regulations. The decision came after they met with Col. A.E. Howarth, representing the Army Finance School at Wake Forest College. Town leaders said there have been no cases of typhoid or dysentery, but agreed to meet the military standards.
More chlorine will also be added to the town pool. Town Commissioner Dr. O.C. Bradbury warns that unless people take thorough showers to remove all perspiration before swimming, they’ll experience a burning sensation from the combination of the body salt and chlorine.
•Daily life in Wake Forest is often disrupted by whistles as trains come through town, but people may be surprised there are more reasons for the sound than just to warn people and livestock off the tracks.
Engineers use them to communicate with each other. One long and two short whistles means another train is following. When a train has run on a side track and wants to go ahead, the engineer will blow the whistle, and when orders are received, blow two more.
When a train stops at night, the flagman goes back several hundred yards and lays an explosive device about the size of a domino, called a torpedo, on the track and lays another a little closer to his train. The torpedos warn other trains there’s a blocked track up ahead. If that train hits a third torpedo, it must stop.
The source for the above entries is online archives of the Wake Forest University newspaper, Old Gold & Black.
•Turner E. Felton of Maccelesfield has been named principal of the Youngsville School, succeeding E.R. Tharrington, who has been made principal at Rolesville School. Felton was formerly employed at Rocky Mount Senior High.
•Hickory native Lyman C. Franklin has taken over as cafeteria manager at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. Franklin just retired from the U.S. Navy. He has won the Ney Award for excellence in food preparation and service.
•Classes begin soon at the W.W. Holding Industrial and Education Center of Wake County located 10 miles south of Raleigh on U.S. 401. The center aims to teach trade skills to selected youths and adults to help them be qualified for work in area industries.
Classes include automotive mechanics, plumbing and steamfitting, machine shop, radio and TV servicing, electrical installation and maintenance, drafting, civil technology and practical nursing. Extension courses will also be provided for those currently employed, seeking to upgrade their education. The school is named for its creator, W.W. Holding of Wake Forest. Editor’s note: The school was later renamed Wake Technical Community College.
•Playing at the Forest Theatre, Jason and the Argonauts, with Todd Armstrong and Nancy Kovack.
•A 92-year-old woman who wandered away from her farm off Peach Orchard Road was found alive 43 hours later by a National Guard helicopter. The Youngsville Guard was called in to help with the search, which involved multiple police and fire agencies and 60 volunteers.
•Two teens were killed when flung from a Ford Mustang that wrecked between Franklinton and Youngsville. The boy and girl, ages 15 and 16, were thought to have been traveling at a high rate of speed.
•Wait Brewer has been named general sales manager at Chappell Ford of Wake Forest. The dealership is located at U.S. 1 and U.S. 1-A.
•The 16-inch pipeline from Franklinton to Youngsville is complete and Youngsville residents are consuming from 15,000-30,000 gallons a day. A recent drought has driven up usage.
•Dumpsters on Pocomoke Road in rural Franklinton are overflowing, leading to an assault on the senses from the smell in the vicinity of Pope’s Chapel Church. The county contractor isn’t picking it up the necessary three times per week, residents have argued.
•Wake Forest has switched a portion of its supply from town water to Raleigh water. The purpose is to give the town a backup supply. The town treatment plant has been running at capacity most of the summer.
•A passerby may have saved Ernie Lee’s Oil Company gas station from burning to the ground. An electrical short set fire to the Wake Crossroads business when Garner resident C.A. Caton drove by and saw a flame in the window.
He called 911 and with the help of Mark Walker of Wake Crossroads, grabbed a garden hose and began spraying water through a cracked window. Firefighters estimated the fire didn’t spread to the roof because of the mist created by the water.
•Police believe failed brakes caused a runaway dump truck bearing tons of gravel to smash into two SUVs on Rogers Road at the Heritage schools entrance. There were no serious injuries, which demolished the passenger vehicles.
The source for above entries is print archives of The Wake Weekly.
— Compiled by Associate Editor David Leone