Winners cited for rehabilitation and adaptive reuse of existing architecture.
WAKE FOREST — The Gulley-Mackie House, the White Street Brewery, and the Wake Forest College Birthplace Society are among nine county winners that will receive awards at Capital Area Preservations 20th Annual Anthemion Awards Presentation Monday, Sept. 16.
Anthemion Awards recognize outstanding dedication and commitment to excellence in historic preservation in Wake County.
White Street Brewery
Dino Radosta, Mauer Architecture and Kusan Construction Company will receive a 2013 Anthemion Award for the adaptive reuse of the 218 South White Street, Wake Forest building.
In September 2012, the White Street Brewing Company opened its doors as Wake Forest’s first brewery. Originally constructed in the 1920s as a Ford car dealership and service area and later used as a furniture store, showroom for classic cars and, most recently a storefront church, the historic structure was renovated into a state-of-the-art beer manufacturing and tasting facility.
Located in the Wake Forest National Register Historic District, this 4,000-square-foot, single-story masonry building represents the area’s first production brewery.
Brewery owner Dino Radosta worked closely with Maurer Architecture, a Raleigh-based firm that specializes in restaurant and brewery design in historic buildings, and local general contractor Kusan Construction Company to create a vibrant new business in Wake Forests downtown commercial center.
The scope of work included designing a fully exposed brewery, bar area and toilet rooms on the inside and rebuilding the front brick facade while introducing an element of elegance on the outside.
The current space was originally comprised of two different buildings, which allowed for a physical separation of the dealership and service areas in the 1920s.
In the 1940s, the wall dividing the two areas was torn down. As a result of this demolition, areas of brick were left jagged and sharp. The team chiseled out the areas of damaged brick and replaced the spaces with original brick relocated from other areas of the building.
The 1940s demolition also necessitated a peaked roof modification, which was constructed from metal. The new exterior redesign kept this metal roof intact.
The structure today allows the operator to utilize the building for two independent uses: a manufacturing facility and taproom.
A half wall bisects the space and visual accents allow for two distinct feels. The manufacturing facility features materials including quarry tile, fluorescent lighting and stainless steel. The taproom includes stained concrete, red oak and pendant lighting.
Wake Forest College Birthplace Society, Inc.
The Wake Forest College Birthplace Society, Inc. will receive their citation for “dedication and commitment to the interpretation of Wake Forest history.
The Wake Forest College Birthplace Society was founded in 1956 as the Calvin Jones Memorial Association for the purpose of saving the Dr. Calvin Jones House, birthplace of today’s Wake Forest University, from being torn down to make way for a cafeteria. That same year, the fledgling organization successfully moved the house from the campus now occupied by Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary to the 400 block of North Main Street.
By 1960, the organization changed its name to the Wake Forest College Birthplace Society, Inc. in an effort to promote the history of Wake Forest College during the time it was located in northern Wake County from 1834 to 1956.
The Society restored the historic house under the guidance of Dr. Christopher Crittenden, grandson of the College’s sixth president Charles E. Taylor and the Society’s first president.
The group pressed forward with Crittenden’s goal of preserving the history of both the college and town of Wake Forest, and in 1976 opened a museum in the restored Calvin Jones House.
Over the next 30 years, the collection of artifacts, photographs, archival materials, and memorabilia, expanded exponentially until it vastly outgrew the space available within the Jones House.
In 2001, members of the Wake Forest Birthplace Society, Inc. conceived a plan to more effectively display and exhibit these treasures in a purpose-built museum building dedicated to the story of Wake Forest College as well as the town of Wake Forest as a whole.
Opened in 2010, the new 7,000 square foot, $3 million state-of-the-art Wake Forest Historical Museum houses exhibit galleries, library and archives, auditorium and educational flex-space.
The new museum receives more than 7,000 visitors annually.
Thanks to the work of the Birthplace Society in association with Wake Forest University and the Town of Wake Forest, visitors enjoy educational programming and tours every Tuesday through Friday and Sunday afternoons free of charge.
The opening of the museum building marks a new beginning for the Birthplace Society. This summer, the Calvin Jones House, the original object of the Society’s attention, underwent an exterior rehabilitation. Work continues on the interior, with an anticipated completion this fall. The work of collecting and interpreting continues non-stop.
Utility Service Agency, Inc.
Utility Service Agency, Inc., Sult Architecture, Gould Development & Historic Restorations will receive a citation for the commercial rehabilitation and adaptive reuse of 340 N. Main St., Wake Forest.
Constructed circa 1890 in the Queen Anne style by William Royall Powell, the Gulley-Mackie House at 340 N. Main St. has experienced a transformation and restoration to its original form.
Powell sold the house, shortly after its construction, to Dr. Needham Y. Gulley, the founder and first Dean of the Wake Forest School of Law.
After Dean Gulley’s death in 1945, George C. Mackie, Sr. a physician and professor at the Wake Forest College School of Medicine, purchased the house and converted it from private residence into offices for his medical practice.
Mackie’s changes included sealing off the first and second floors from each other; dividing the main floor into eight examination rooms, a laboratory, ex-ray room and two separate waiting rooms for patients; and converting the large upstairs bedrooms into four apartments.
The house continued to be used as a doctor’s office until 2009. In 2010, James Wilson Mackie, son of George Mackie and Kathleen Mackie-Lake, inherited the property and donated it to the Wake Forest College Birthplace Society, Inc. to be used for the benefit of the Wake Forest Historical Museum.
The following year Cooke’s Restoration, LLC purchased the house and initiated a top-to-bottom rehabilitation with the aim of restoring some of the house’s original grandeur while transforming it into a suitable headquarters for the family business.
Sult Architecture provided design services and Gould Development & Historic Restorations was general contractor and Utility Service Agency, Inc. moved into its new home in late 2012.
On the exterior, the team reproduced and restored the fine sawn work balusters on the front and side porches and removed the aluminum siding to reveal the shadows of decorative architraves above the windows.
All original elements, based on physical evidence and documentation, were restored to their original condition.
In the interior, the team restored the original room configuration on both floors, leaving some walls open to adapt the space for its planned use, restored and reused original flooring where possible and reopened the second floor to the first with the installation of period-appropriate staircase elements in the main hall.
Award ceremony Sept. 16
The three citations will be awarded in a 6:15 p.m. ceremony at the Irregardless Cafe, 901 W. Morgan St., Raleigh. Tickets are $20 in advance and $25 at the door, per person.
Call Capitol Area Preservation at 919-833-6404 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for reservations.